Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Hospitalised Copper

Christ, the George Galloway fan club at Harry's Place must be wetting themselves at this news from his website that George and chums have re-recorded Edwin Starr's best known song, 'War', and intend to release it as a download only single in the first week in January.

George himself explains the plan of action on his website:

"The idea is to take the song to the top of the singles chart in the first week of January entirely through downloads. From January 1 download-only singles are eligible for chart placing in the official Top 40 . . .

. . . Two million of us marched against the war, if only a small number of us buy the download not only will it benefit the campaign against the war it will be a hugely embarrassing musical referendum on Blair".

The stills are from the video recorded for the three minutes of incendiary political pop, and the storyboard of the video has George playing a policeman who gets mixed up with Tony Blair who: " is out of a job now Gordon has replaced him as PM so he’s reformed his college band Ugly Rumours for one last crack at rock stardom". I'm guessing that Ken Loach didn't direct the video.

It turns out that Tony Blair's sister in law, Lauren Booth, also appears in the video playing a WPC. The lengths some people will go to to get out of buying their nephew and nieces Christmas presents.

What's really disquieting about this news is that because Respect previously recorded a version of Erasure's 'Respect' for an election campaign, which I blogged about here, I've exhausted my repertoire of Respect 'Crap politics, crap taste in music' jokes. Bastards.

Political satire is officially dead.

3 comments:

Reidski said...

You bastard, you have just put me off my dinner!

And I've just noticed that the word verification is "wnrakyu" which I will rearrange to insult you for putting this post on here - wankr yu!!

Err, I'll get my coat.....

Imposs1904 said...

I'll help you put it on.

Isn't your old chum from college - and current National Organiser of the SWP, Martin Smith - a bit of a muso?

Do you think it's him making these musical suggestions?

Reidski said...

Aw naw, you've just made it worse cos yer probably right about all that muso shit - and no fucking "chum" of mine by the way.

And, can I ask, is my language getting worse?