Monday, December 11, 2006

'I Bet You Look Good On The Bookshelf'

Britpop might be long dead but, pound for pound, Jarvis Cocker and Noel Gallagher are still the most quotable pop stars out there. The latest issue of the Observer Music Monthly magazine carries this gem of a quote from Gallagher that is in amongst a whole-nine-yards sort of article on the Arctic Monkeys:

"I think they [The Arctic Monkeys] were a good kick up the arse, but I'm a bit worried about what's going to follow in their wake. If it's going to be loads of cunts with guitars up here going, "and my mum works down the fucking chip shop, she met a geezer..." and all that. Great pop music is not about real life, it's about how great life can be. Real life's fucking shit."

I can't remember who exactly it was who said it, but I remember that at the height of Oasis's success, a music journalist offered the opinion that if Noel Gallagher had ever actually read a book in his life, good songs would have become great songs. Let's hope that the Arctic Monkeys chief songwriter, Alex Turner - who, it has to be said that as a lyricist is already head and shoulders above Gallagher - doesn't fall away in the same way that Gallagher did. Spotting this wee quote from Turner further on in the article gives me hope:

"There's a book my grandad and my dad always try to get me to read and I've sort of read half of it - 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'. I want to have read it to be able to have a conversation with my grandad about it, and I always take it with me, and I quite like it, but..."

If he gets round to finishing it, the Arctic Monkeys third album should be a cracker.

No comments: