Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Jukebox Fury #2

And whilst I'm on the subject of ranting and raving about the misuse of favourite songs. What's the deal with Matt Johnson allowing 'This Is The Day' to be used in an M & M's commercial?

That was my favourite misery song from the early to mid-eighties, off one of the best albums from the same period. Morrissey had too much humour in his lyrics for me to be taken in with his carefully crafted image of miserablism, and Red House Painters' Mark Kozelek was yet to appear on the scene with a note from his Doctor, but you could just tell that Johnson thought it was a badge of honour to submerge himself in misery. I mean, he recorded a duet with Sinead O'Connor for his 'Mind Bomb' album. What more proof do you need?

I just hope it was worth it.

No comments: