Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the Demise of English Rock by John Harris (Harper Perennial 2003)


Noel Gallagher had turned up at his local polling station to find that he was required to produce one more item of identification than he was carrying. 'Do you want me to sing you a fucking song?' he protested, before celebrity eventually got the better of bureaucracy. That night, though the South Bank beckoned, he remained on the sofa. 'I had a ticket for the Labour Party party, but I had that much fun watching Portillo and the others get done over I stayed at home in front of the TV. It was all champagne and cigars round our house. Meg and me got pissed and went out into the garden and played ['The Beatles'] Revolution dead loud with the neighbours banging on the walls.'

1 comment:

Imposs1904 said...

It only took me five years to finish the book.

What can I say: the book was on the shelf but the shelf was out of my reach.